Follow us on:
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter

Foods dogs should not eat

share this page:

Photo: Foods that are harmful for dogs

Most dogs love food and are extremely good at asking for it,  their begging eyes are often very hard to resist. 

But before you are tempted to give them some of your food you must ensure that you are not going to harm them through your misguided kindness. Some foodstuffs that are ok for us can be extremely dangerous for your dog, others may make a dog a little ill. 

Different dogs will be affected in different ways, so whilst one dog may be fine if it eats a bit of chocolate or a couple of grapes, others could have a severe reaction and by the time the dogs starts showing signs of toxic poisoning it can sometimes be too late.

The following are foods you should not give to or let your dog get hold of:

Contain a substance called persin, which can be harmful to dogs in large amounts. Persin is in the leaves, seed and bark, as well as in the fruit, so be aware if you grow avocados in your garden.

Alcohol (Beer, liquor, wine, foods containing alcohol):
Will have the same effect on a dogs liver and brain as a humans, but it takes a lot less to do the damage to a dog. 

Onions and Garlic:
These contain sulphides which are toxic to dogs and can destroy a dog's red blood cells, leading to anemia. The symptoms of which are weakness, vomiting, loss of appetite, being out of breath. Cooking them does not reduce their toxicity

Caffeine can be fatal, so any products that contain caffeine, such as tea, coffee, cocoa and energy drinks should never be given to a dog

Grapes & Raisins:
Some dogs are sensitive to grapes and others aren't. For those that are, just a few grapes can cause illness and death. The juice from grapes causes kidney failure in some dogs. The effects can happen over a period of time for some dogs whilst others will have an immediate reaction.

Milk and other dairy products:
I know many people give their dogs cheese, milk and other dairy products and it is true to say that some dogs have no problems digesting dairy products. However, others will experience acute intestinal problems which will cause gas, diarrhoea and/or vomiting and upsets a dogs digestive system. It is therefore best not to give your dog any dairy products.

Walnuts and Macadamia Nuts:
Can be fatal and it does not take many. Be aware of biscuits and cakes that may contain nuts

Sweets, Gum: (anything containing Xylitol)
Can cause liver failure.

Never give your dog any chocolate. All kinds, white, milk and dark contain theobromine which can be fatal. Dark chocolate contains the highest level of theobromine. It is best not to give them Dog chocolate drops, otherwise they just get a taste for chocolate. Be especially aware at Christmas and Easter time, when there is likely to be lots of chocolate laying around. Don’t leave it within your dogs reach, he will more than likely be tempted.

Bread Dough: (yeast)
Yeast expands and ferments which creates alcohol like enzymes that can cause rupture of the stomach or intestines and poison your dog.

Peaches, Plums and Apple seeds:
The seeds contain small amounts of cyanide, which is potentially lethal to dogs.

If your dog eats something he shouldn’t have done, if possible you should try and make your dog vomit but this is often “easier said than done” especially if your dog is a larger breed.

The best course of action, is to call your vet immediately, they are best qualified to tell you what is the best course of action as it will depend upon what and how much the dog has ingested.